Here are just a few:
- American Express -- Confirmation of email address change
- American Express -- Fraud Protection Alert
- AT&T -- Your AT&T wireless bill is ready to view
- Apple -- Order Acknowledgment
- Digital Insight -- Your Password Expired (online banking)
- Intuit -- Your intuit.com order
- Newegg.com -- Payment Charged
- US Airways -- US Airways reservation confirmation
- Verizon -- Thank You for your Verizon Wireless Payment
- Verizon -- Your Bill is Now Available
One thing that many of these messages have in common is that they are addressed to multiple email addresses. Frequently they are sent to the same domain name (i.e. adams.net).
If you receive such a message your safest course of action is to immediately delete it.
And a reminder -- keep your operating system, security software and all applications up-to-date.